RFI

[RFI] Tracing wires.

To: <Gary@ka1j.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Tracing wires.
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 21:41:34 -0800
: This might be what I need to do. I don't know about a signal tracer
: kit if its something to carry around and look for signals behind a
: wall, without opening up the wall, that is what I'm looking for. I
: haven't come into contact with anything like that to date.

In the early 90's I bought a wire tracer "pen".  It ran on a single AAA
battery, looked like a rectangular laser pointer, had a metal tip.  I bought
mine at All Electronics for a few bucks, Radio Shack had them as well for
more.

I found I could sweep a wall and locate a "hot" wire behind sheetrock,
plaster, et cetera.  I would press the button, then "sweep" the tip across a
wall and watch for a red LED on it to illuminate.  When it did, I could
sweep more slowly to narrow down the inch or so it would light, then make a
faint pencil line.  I would then connect the dots, so to speak, to have a
map of the wire behind the wall!

Kurt