RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise - where do I start?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 10:30:06 -0700
On Sun,9/25/2016 5:56 AM, thoyer wrote:
Haven't been active much of the summer. In the recent weeks I started
noticing a very broad band noise.

Here's a "how to start AND finish.

http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

One thing I strongly suggest is that you either try to get that spectrum display into averaging mode or find another spectrum display that allows you to do that.

Another thing would be look at the audio on a scope and try to sync it to 60 Hz. If it syncs to 60 Hz, there's a good chance that it's power line noise. Also, save the audio as a sound file and look at it on an audio spectrum analyzer. Audacity has a nice one, and it's freeware. Use Audacity to record the audio as a file, then save it and look at it.

73, Jim K9YC