RFI

Re: [RFI] led bulbs?

To: k1ttt@arrl.net, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] led bulbs?
From: Pat <wa4tuk-rf@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 11:09:35 -0400
100 watt 130 volt rough service bulbs are still being made. They are considered a "specialty" bulb. Three-way bulbs also escaped the ban. Halogen equivalents are available.

They are not $0.25 a piece as they were just a few years ago and you'll really have to search to find any USA made.

That said, I only use incandescent bulbs in a very few places from supplies bought years ago.

I would pick a name brand LED from a store that allows returns and do my own tests. If it causes interference you return it with a simple explanation that it makes my radio buzz or if that doesn't work just say it "don't work". You'll most likely get an odd look and a refund. Then you move on. If you find a winner go back and buy a good supply before they change.

I have 9 LED bulbs in daily use with no noticeable RFI. All came from Sam's Club and are branded GE from China. None may be dimmed. Three are in the radio room.

Pat
wa4tuk