RFI

Re: [RFI] led bulb test

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] led bulb test
From: Christopher Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 11:25:19 -0900
For my bulb testing I do 2 things.

1) There is a particular second floor light where the run to the light
runs ~ 25ft horizontal parallel to the upper segment of my HF antenna at
a distance of ~ 35ft.  This particular run couples well to the antenna
on the lower bands so I run incandescent only there.

This is the location I will swap in a LED or CFL to look at real world
inpact.

2) I have a dangly light bulb socket (you know old hanging type) wired
to a std plug.

I hang the light in the shack and connect to a 50 foot run across the house.

Then I throw a noise loop on the end of a 70ft chunk of LMR240 and
connect to the spec-an in peak-hold mode or the HF receiver and start
waving the loop around the bulb and on down the line.

These would both be field expedient / situation specific but I find them
useful for quick/dirty separation of "do not ever use" from "might be OK"