RFI

Re: [RFI] A note from Sangean about switching power supplies

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] A note from Sangean about switching power supplies
From: "Kenneth G. Gordon" <kgordon2006@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2017 13:01:29 -0800
On 8 Jan 2017 at 14:00, Frank N. Haas KB4T wrote:

> We already are fighting that battle. That ship sailed years ago.

HA!

My favorite Elmer, Woody Davey, W7CJB, told me once that the overall background
baseline noise level had risen very, very noticably and destructively since he
was first
licensed in the 1930s, and he put it down to REA activity. All of it was 60Hz
related at that
time.

And he was no dummy: he was chief of maintenance for the electronic section of
the FAA,
and designed and implemented in Montana and adjacent states possibly the finest
set of
mountain top airways beacons which have ever existed, all of which is gone now.

I have felt for a long time that perhaps....PERHAPS...our present terrible band
conditions
aren't "band conditions" so much as horrendous masking by the present horrible
noise level.
Its like boiling the frog: the noise level has risen so slowly and so steadily
over so long a
time that most of us have NO IDEA, not even a remote CLUE, just exactly how bad
it really
is.

I hate it.

I dream (yeah, I know, "Dream on, Stupid") of the day that there is a, major,
MAJOR power
failure across the entire world and we can, even for a short time, hear what
band conditions
REALLY sound like!

Ken W7EKB

---