RFI

Re: [RFI] A note from Sangean about switching power supplies

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] A note from Sangean about switching power supplies
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 18:07:24 -0800
"It is interesting that they warn you about that... but a company making a
radio should at least try to choose a wart that is quiet."

Years ago a local OM got his tech ticket.  he wanted an HT like mine, a
Yaesu FT-60.  He gave me the cash and I ordered it online.  It came with a
switching mode power supply that ironically, obliterated the use of the
radio it intended to charge when plugged in and others near it. Noise all
the way into UHF, VHF was horrible, HF and MF- worthless.  I made screen
captures, recordings, et cetera.  I provided the info to Yaesu who made it,
and HRO who sold it.

Nobody cared and the crap is still sold.

As for the OM, I bought him a new-old-stock non-SMPS based charger.  Silent,
of course...

Kurt