RFI

Re: [RFI] Daisy chain vs Common Ground in Shack

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Daisy chain vs Common Ground in Shack
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 18:15:23 -0700
On Wed,6/7/2017 3:04 PM, Sean Waite wrote:
Any idea how far apart is too far for the ground rods to be bonded? I've
got a new (well, old, new to me) antenna going up. It's a cushcraft R7
vertical, and is about 125' straight line from my service ground. I've
considered sinking a ground rod next to it and bonding the antenna to that,
as once I meander through the necessary path I'll probably have over 200'
of wire to make it.

Yes, there should be a ground rod at the base of that antenna, bonded to the coax shield. BUT -- any wire from there to reach the house is so long that it is a big inductor. Remember that lighting is an RF event, not a DC event. So bonding it to the house ground may not be very effective. Indeed, my practice is to add a common mode choke on the feedpoint of that antenna, just like any other.

You really need to study Ward's book on grounding your home.

73, Jim K9YC