RFI

Re: [RFI] "No RFI" LED bulbs

To: "Chris L. Parker" <parker601@earthlink.net>, RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] "No RFI" LED bulbs
From: Ken Winterling <wa2lbi@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 22:40:08 +0000
Chris,

Yes, the issue is when the bulb it lit either by opening the door or
operating the light manually.  When some fluorescent or LED bulbs are lit
they produce RFI that interferes with the door opener receiver and either
captures the receiver input or desenses it requiring the transmitter to be
moved very close to the receiver to overcome the bulb's interfering signal.

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 18:04 Chris L. Parker <parker601@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> An RFI free LED bulb is a very welcomed product for any ham.  But maybe
> someone much smarter than me can explain why a Genie garage door opener
> would need one. I'm pretty sure my garage door opener receives the "open
> door" command from the RF remote and then raises the door and turns on the
> light.  I think the light is unpowered until after the open command is
> received.  Are they concerned about RX interference to subsequent commands
> after the bulb is on?
>
> Chris
> AF6PX
>
> --