RFI

[RFI] Snap-on RFI suppression core size vs cable size

To: "rfi@contesting.com List" <RFI@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Snap-on RFI suppression core size vs cable size
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 16:27:24 -0400
I suspect this is a stupid question but I am not finding a concise answer or I am not recognizing it when I see it.

How important is it to fit the I.D. of snap-on RFI suppression ferrites to the size of the wire or cable they are used on? At what point does the core I.D. being larger than the wire begin to reduce its effectiveness? Surely this must happen at some point? Larger cores tend to have higher equivalent series resistance than smaller ones, but I wonder how much of that may be given up if the wire diameter is much smaller than the core I.D.

I ask because I need to purchase a significant number of these in an effort to minimize RFI at 144 MHz. Obviously there is a significant price break when buying large quantity of a given part, but I have cables of differing diameters to deal with.

73,
Paul