RFI

Re: [RFI] Snap-on RFI suppression core size vs cable size

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Snap-on RFI suppression core size vs cable size
From: Dave Cole <dave@nk7z.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2017 15:31:58 -0700
Just re-read your paper Jim, very useful, thanks again! Every time I re-read it, I get something new.

73s and thanks,
Dave
NK7Z
http://www.nk7z.net

On 08/20/2017 02:16 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
Thanks Chuck. A couple of points of clarification. First, the link to the tutorial is

k9yc.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

Second, there's a much more recent piece on identifying, finding, and killing RF noise that I wrote for NCJ a year or so ago that has more practical advice.

http://k9yc.com/KillingReceiveNoise.pdf

A few general statements.

A ferrite choke works by adding RESISTANCE, inductively coupled from the lossy core, to conductor into which it is inserted. That resistance is from the broad (low Q) parallel resonance of the choke with its stray capacitance, and the resonance of most clamp-ons designed for suppression is around 200 MHz (this can clearly be seen from the plots of Z vs frequency on the data sheets for each individual part on the Fair-Rite website.

Clamp-ons without multiple turns are only effective above about 100 MHz (and #61 is effective at low UHF). At 6M and below, we must wind multiple turns to move their resonance down in frequency to the range where we want to use them.

Inductance and resistance are proportional to the length of the ferrite core, and proportional to the square of the number of turns. Stray C is roughly proportional to the number of turns.

When counting turns, we count the number of times the conductor passes THROUGH the core, so a single pass through the core is one turn. In other words, the number of turns is one greater than the number of loops in a multi-turn choke.

For a LOT more detailed discussion see the tutorials, which, among other things, discuss WHY resistance is what matters most, and why #31 is the most universally effective for hams.

73, Jim K9YC