RFI

Re: [RFI] Window Air Conditioner Advice Wanted

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Window Air Conditioner Advice Wanted
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 16:44:47 -0700
I agree a split system is the way to go, more $ but a lot more efficiency so if it runs a lot the payback is there. Plus they are super quiet inside and out with the compressor outside, which could be a cooler/shaded location for efficiency improvements. My variable speed (inside and outside) 27k btu Panasonic makes no RFI. It is cooling only but heat/cool reverse cycle is pretty much the usual now. With 3 air handlers, it cools a 4k sq ft shop + shack except on very hot days and then a 25k wall unit is fired up as support. A GE "window" unit with 3 fixed speeds and no rfi.

Way back I installed a 25k "window" unit up 8' by with a 12' 4x4 I braced floor (had a hearth to push against, so no holes in the oak flooring) and wall (against a 2x6 lagged across 3 studs), a forged eye thru the 4x4 and a good sailboat 4:1 jam blocks rigging. The hoist point is close to the wall so the bending load is small on the 4x4. Then the finesse part (besides how to securely sling the unit) is sliding into the housing while slacking the line at the same time. But the weight is under control at all times if rigged right. Some plaster touch up and done. It cooled a peaked roof 24' x 26' kitchen/family room split with a 7' high pony wall so it had to be high enough to blow over that wall.

Grant KZ1W