RFI

Re: [RFI] Smoke Detectors Beeping

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Smoke Detectors Beeping
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:59:58 -0700
On 7/31/2018 12:09 PM, Stan Zawrotny wrote:
While this is not a forum to debate antennas, I would note that OCF dipoles
continue to be a top seller among wire antennas today.

Popularity is often as much the result of advertising as it is of value or suitability to the application.

The shortcoming of ANY OCF antenna is common mode current on the feedline, which makes the antenna more susceptible to receive noise, and puts RF in the shack (and our neighbor's living room). A shortcoming of all of the single length, cover all bands antenna is a directional pattern with lobes and nulls that are different on every band. And a shortcoming of both antenna types is that it is not practical to choke them effectively to kill the common mode current.

These are fundamental, laws of physics limitations.

73, Jim K9YC

73, Jim K9YC