RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI Video

To: Randy Standke <r55stan@gmail.com>, 'Tony' <dxdx@optonline.net>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>, 'Tony Brock-Fisher' <barockteer@aol.com>, "Gruber, Mike W1MG" <mgruber@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI Video
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2018 14:41:18 +0000
We have found Solar Edge to be receptive and interested in resolving the
problems from their existing design.  Keep in mind that the device is an
unintentional emitter and as such, subject to conducted emissions limits below
30 MHz ONLY on the lines connected to AC mains and subject to radiated
emissions limits above 30 MHz.   If the noise being conducted onto the AC mains
is below the limits, radiated noise below 30 MHz is legal unless it causes
harmful interference.  If it does, it is the responsibility of the actual
operator of the device to resolve the harmful interference. The manufacturer is
required only to meet authorization requirements, test the design in a lab
environment, have ongoing production meet the limits as found in lab testing
and to label the equipment.

Although I think that in the long run, their choosing a case-by-case resolution
will not work out well for them, I do note that if every manufacturer of
products responded to complaints with full cooperation and even site visits by
their engineers, we'd all be pretty delighted, so keep this in mind if you have
any need to work with Solar Edge.

Ed Hare, W1RFI