RFI

Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI in Kings Park - Update October 4th 2018

To: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>, "Gruber, Mike W1MG" <mgruber@arrl.org>, Tony Brock-Fisher <barockteer@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI in Kings Park - Update October 4th 2018
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 17:58:17 +0000
I doubt that the foam will do all that much. First, as you point out, the noise
is probaby being radiated by the wires, not the box.  Second, RF-absorber foam
is usually not very effective at HF.  It may gain a few dB above 30 MHz to
allow a device to pass radiated emissions tests, but on HF, it would generally
be pretty useless.

If the engineers are not aware of good EMC practices, this may explain some of
the reasons that some of these installations do not seem to have RFI cured when
the engineers or installers install "cures."

Mike Gruber, can you pass along to the Solar Edge engineers you work with some
feedback on the effectiveness or lack therof of some of the things they are
trying to fix?