RFI

[RFI] tips on building common mode chokes

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] tips on building common mode chokes
From: bill K7WXW <K7WXW@qrpdx.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 11:56:14 -0700
I am building a set of feed line common mode chokes to test in my shack, using K9YC's published test data and charts (mahalo, Jim!).  Since the chokes will be inserted into existing feed lines, each choke, wound on a type 43 or 31 2.4 inch toroid, will be terminated with SO239 and PL259 connectors.  I run 200W maximum though my normal operating power is less than twenty.

The bifilar chokes use #14 or #12 THHN wire. I can install a PL259 solder connector designed for LM400 pretty easily on either but the SO239 side of things is giving me fits. I just can't figure out how to nake a solid solder connection with wire this size and the standard SO239, whether in bulkhead or panel mount form.  Is there some version of the connector I just haven't managed to locate? Some trick to getting big wire in a small hole? I've been staring at photos of other people's chokes for a couple of days and haven't figured it out.

I will also be making coax versions with both toroids and the clamp on ferrites though I am inclined to the bifilar versions based on Jim's data. The idea is to compare them all side by side in operation and see which work the best in my situation. I'd also test them on a vector analyzer if I had one, but alas I don't.

Thanks in advance!  73 de bill K7WXW