RFI

Re: [RFI] Non-switching wall warts availability?

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Non-switching wall warts availability?
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 17:15:41 -0800
"Keep in mind a linear wall wart will offer transformation to the lower voltage from a specific voltage input: think transformer winding ratio."

Yes.

"If it’s 110/115 VAC in and 12 V out, you’ve landed a transformer/based linear power supply."

Unless it's a switching mode supply, or even just a big resistor, they have the same specs, regardless of what's in the box.

"If you are offered a wide range of voltage in, say 110-240 VAC and 12 V out you have a switching power supply."

Unless it has a switch, or a jumper. Also bear in mind, you can have multiple inputs, and outputs, even with linear wall warts. You never what what it is, until you have it in your hand.

I started grabbing the linear stuff in the 90's when it was clear the switching supplies were destroying everything around them, communications-wise. Average price is about a quarter, and I've got so many I think my property is starting to sink. on the plus side, I have what I need, in about 1/10th volt increments from fractional volt to tens of volts up to several amps, for anything I may even want to do.

Hit up the thrift shops, many will give you crates of linear supplies just for the asking, since they are heavy and the average wall wart doesn't sell for years, they are happy someone will go to the effort to make them disappear.

Kurt