RFI

Re: [RFI] external noise source identification

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] external noise source identification
From: "David Robbins" <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 23:45:12 -0000
Well, if you can pick it up on 2' or ladder line in your basement it has to be
close.  When you power down your house be sure you kill any devices with
batteries like UPS's or battery powered or backed up clocks, tablets, or even
your own laptop.  I always wrap the usb cord with a couple of ferrites going to
the sdr as the laptop itself can be noisy.

If its definitely not in your house then take the laptop/sdr and walk around
the outside to see if you can find it stronger in one direction or another.  A
handheld shortwave receiver with loopstick antenna can give good bearings on
strong signals.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://wiki.k1ttt.net
AR-Cluster node: 145.69MHz or telnet://k1ttt.net:7373