RFI

Re: [RFI] external noise source identification

To: bill K7WXW <K7WXW@qrpdx.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] external noise source identification
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 21:01:39 -0500
Hi Bill,

You show these repetitive signals on your SDR setup, but need to make sure
they are real.

1) Do you actually hear each of these repetitive signals on your HF rig
versus the SDR receiver?

2) If you reduce the SDR system gain, do the spikes suddenly disappear (do
they suddenly appear when you increase your SDR gain past a certain
point)?  It's very common that when SDR gain exceeds a particular value
that spurious emissions appear in the SDR display.

3)  If you go outside away from your house with your SDR system, are these
signals still present?

Note: I run a portable SDR DF system with a lap top, and the battery
operated lap top (a Dell high end lap top) generates lots of RF hash that
can be detected when my portable DF antenna is within a few feet of the
laptop.

Don (wd8dsb)