RFI

Re: [RFI] FW: Common mode choke on 4 Square feedlines without skewing ph

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <pchristensen@ieee.org>, "'Rfi List'" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] FW: Common mode choke on 4 Square feedlines without skewing phasing?
From: "N2TK, Tony" <tony.kaz@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 16:36:15 -0500
Thanks Paul for the input on the RG-303
N2TK, Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: RFI [mailto:rfi-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Paul Christensen
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2019 3:56 PM
To: 'Rfi List' <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] FW: Common mode choke on 4 Square feedlines without skewing
phasing?

>Can you think of any negative aspects of doing it this way over making
>up
some RG400 chokes?

Don't rule out surplus RG-303.  It's not too common but it can be found with
some searching.  RG-303 is similar in construction and power handling to
RG-142/RG-400 but with a slightly smaller diameter that makes winding
easier.  Surplus cost is about USD $1.35 ft.  It works well for chokes where
ends are flared out and soldered but I don't recall if there's a common
soldered or crimped connector that works with its smaller jacket diameter.
As a point of reference, Alpha used RG-303 in some of its amplifiers.

I've been using RG-400 for inside shack cabling long before it became
popular -- back in the good 'ole days when it was easily had for $1.00 ft.

Paul, W9AC