RFI

Re: [RFI] FW: Common mode choke on 4 Square feedlines without skewing ph

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] FW: Common mode choke on 4 Square feedlines without skewing phasing?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 13:48:19 -0800
On 1/29/2019 12:55 PM, Paul Christensen wrote:
Don't rule out surplus RG-303.  It's not too common but it can be found with
some searching.  RG-303 is similar in construction and power handling to
RG-142/RG-400 but with a slightly smaller diameter that makes winding
easier.

But he's looking for 75 ohm coax, and 303 is 50 ohms. Pasternak's RG179 is 75 ohms, center is seven strands of CCS, silver-coated copper braid. 0.4-in bend radius. 0.1-in o.d. Harbour Industries lists the same characteristics.

If someone wants to send me some, I'll wind some chokes and measure them. I'll need about 60 ft to do both 4-in and 2.4-in o.d. toroids. (Because these chokes are pretty high Q on 160 and 80, I need to wind on four cores at the limits of specs for Rs and Xs, and base my guidelines on worst case of those four sets of data). As noted in an earlier post, I'd say that chokes wound on 2.4-in o.d. cores are plenty good enough to use at the feedpoint of each element of a 4-square.

73, Jim K9YC