RFI

Re: [RFI] Bonding to a PC

To: RFI List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Bonding to a PC
From: David Huff <dhuff@vermeer.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 23:39:41 +0000
What kind of PC, and what kind of power connection do you have?
If this is a Desktop computer it probably has a connector which is grounded.
See < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_60320>  connector C13, these are
usually Class I devices.
Some laptop power supplies are Grounded Class I, or double insulated Class II
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes>  Some Class II devices even
have a ground, but separate the ground internally.  These devices can contain
switching power supplies inside them which are noisy, and not always connected
to earth ground.  Adding ferrites or torroids on both the input and output
cables can dramatically reduce RF noise created in the power supply from being
radiated out to other devices.

Note that many people have installed clamp on ferrites or torroids on the AC
power cord, just to keep the RF noise generated in the PC from being coupled
back into the house 120V system.  Bonding might be good, but you should also
experiment with RF suppression ferrites or torroids on the power cords, and
anything else (USB, mouse, keyboard, etc.) routed from the PC out to the rest
of the radio system.  Your PC is a tremendous source of RF noise, and keeping
that noise out of other systems may entail grounding and bonding, or it might
entail isolation.
Thanks,
David
W0IM