RFI

Re: [RFI] Bonding to a PC

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Bonding to a PC
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 17:44:56 -0800
On 2/28/2019 3:36 PM, Gedas wrote:
We had an issue with a product during some specialized radiated tests. Tasked with the investigation I found that the item was using shielded USB cables, as expected, the only problem was the maker of the cables (a large company that starts with an L and ends with a com) was not terminating the cable shield in any way.

AAARGH!

What was more disturbing to me was that I had to explain to two of their engineers that the shield had to be properly terminated to do any good. Just because it has a shield or braid around the conductors means absolutely nothing.

DOUBLE AAARGH!  Far too many hams don't realize this either!

And the sad part is that you have to at least scrape the jacket and use an Ohmeter to figure this out!

For decades, el-cheapo audio cables have been made with a wire as the return rather than a shield.

73, Jim K9YC