RFI

Re: [RFI] SolarEdge Finds New Source of Solar System RFI

To: "'Tony'" <dxdx@optonline.net>, "'Rfi List'" <rfi@contesting.com>, "'Cianciolo, Paul, W1VLF'" <pcianciolo@arrl.org>, "'Hare, Ed W1RFI'" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Subject: Re: [RFI] SolarEdge Finds New Source of Solar System RFI
From: <r55stan@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2019 19:55:15 -0700
I would be interested in the technical reasons how a solar panel can make RFI.
Is there some switching circuitry connected to it?  In other words, are there
more than just solar cells in the assembly called the panel?  I don't see how a
non-switching component (such as a solar cell) can generate any RF.  Radiated
RF requires fast rise times, insufficient filtering and something to act as the
antenna.

My first experience with RFI from a SolarEdge system was August 2016.  I had
RFI spread throughout the 20 meter band the morning after a neighbor 190 feet
from me had panels on the roof.  This was just from just from the optimizers
getting power from the panels.  The main inverter was not even connected yet.
About two weeks later when it was finished and turned on, I had a huge signal
at 14.199 MHz in addition to the other signals throughout the band.  That house
was fixed with the wire twisting and ferrite treatment.

Another reason "choking the optimizers" may have had little effect in your case
is because they may have missed one or more of them.  Even a single unfiltered
optimizer will cause strong RFI.  In another SolarEdge system near me, the
technicians returned four times until they finally filtered all of the
optimizers.  They had missed some of them on the first three visits.

So far SolarEdge has rewired seven houses around me, with three more scheduled.

Best wishes on solving your RFI and 73,

Randy KQ6RS