RFI

Re: [RFI] SolarEdge Finds New Source of Solar System RFI

To: jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] SolarEdge Finds New Source of Solar System RFI
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 16:18:27 +0000
Yes, the capacitor termination keeps us high-frequency types happy and
satisfies the 'one end only' termination for the audio TSP designers.  I'm
an RF type with some experience with audio from my long ago college days.

My favorite example of the failure of twisted pair (TP) with the digital
designs of today is Ethernet.  In the early days when Enet was over coax,
there was little or no major radiation problem. However, once the designers
(digital, with no RF knowledge) got word of TP (far less expensive than
coax), all h#$% broke loose.  Our building at HP was originally outfitted
with coaxial cable for Ethernet.  There was little interference problem.
However, once TP was installed, many small-signal instrumentation setups
became unusable without a shielded room.  Today, modern buildings outfitted
with TP for Ethernet are so noisey that radios, even at FM broadcast
frequencies, are unusable.  I have lot's of 'war stories', but I'll spare
those for the time being.  In my experience and regarding only RF up to low
UHF, the RF noise becomes common mode over roughly 10-wavelengths of TP
length.  It radiates like an intentional antenna.  The present-day
implementation of differential drive does not yield true differential
signals as the 'ground' plane serves as the reference for both the 0 and
180 phase signals.  It's not true differential drive .  Yes, I'm an old
fossil at 72 years old (wise) who cut my teeth on vacuum tubes (remember
those glass 'things' filled with nothing?  We might label them 'thermionic
FETs' today.).

Dave - WØLEV

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*