RFI

Re: [RFI] Metal Pole vs Wood Pole

To: 'Michael Martin' <mike@rfiservices.com>, Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Metal Pole vs Wood Pole
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J via RFI" <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2019 15:02:19 +0000
I can confirm Mike Martin's assessment regarding metal poles, or at least with
the problem we found from an all metal cross-arm mounted on a wood pole.  Can't
find the document on the cross-arm's mfr and model now, but it is a known
problem with arcing that leaves black charring in several places along the
entire cross arm wherever it had hardware connections.  The arcing eventually
causes the metal arm to fail confirmed by many other utilities where it has
been used.

The RFI could be heard for a few blocks in every direction from the pole which
was located in a commercial zone immediately next to the Salvation Army
buildings which had an Amateur Radio station installed in one of their
buildings.  This made it difficult to narrow down the source by our RFI
technicians who spent many hours working this case before they narrowed it down
to the pole with a metal cross arm.  The techs misidentified several other
nearby wood poles with noise that were not causing the RFI to the SA's ham
station before getting the onion pealed down to the metal cross arm.

A line-tech troubleshooter made us aware of the flawed design of the metal
cross arms and recommended replacing the whole metal arm with a wood cross arm.
 The next problem delaying resolution was scheduling an outage for the entire
commercial zone on that circuit and not impacting other nearby company's, but
that's a whole other story.

73, de ed -K0iL
Ed Edwards, P.E.