RFI

Re: [RFI] RESEND - Fw: [PVRC] Help me identify my new RFI

To: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RESEND - Fw: [PVRC] Help me identify my new RFI
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 21:09:01 -0500
Hi Dave,

I have used a professional ultrasonic parabolic dish while working along
side the local power company (Duke Energy), and were able to find arcing on
almost every pole we looked at and therefore it really made it difficult to
identify the real root cause of the problem.  I suggest using VHF or UHF
portable AM receiver with 20 or 30 dB of attenuation that you can switch in
as needed and a 3 or 4 element beam to locate the problem pole, and then
you can use the parabolic dish to locate the faulty component if needed.  A
cheap portable police scanner with AM aircraft band makes a great receiver
and they can be had dirt cheap on Ebay.  I use 136 MHz AM when trying to
locate the faulty pole (but would also probably use UHF if I had that
capability).

Just my opinion having used ultrasonic parabolic dish out in the field.

Don (wd8dsb)