RFI

Re: [RFI] Tesla's Response to Solar Panel RFI

To: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Tesla's Response to Solar Panel RFI
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 17:40:38 +0000
When we resided in the large apartment complex in Lovaland, Colorado, I
could not receive an AM station (KCOL) in Fort Collins (transmitter, maybe
10-miles distant) due to RFI throughout the complex.  It was so bad, I
could detect the RFI on a crystal set using the downspout from the top and
third floor of the complex.  I tried an mag. loop in an effort to make a
few contacts.  Still, too much RFI.  Have a read of the last (and a bit
long) paragraph of my QRZ page.  Its all real.

Dave - WØLEV

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 11:48 AM Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com> wrote:

> <Respectfully, in every case here but one, (and I have been involved
> in maybe 10 to 15 in the past three years), the RFI from grow ops were
> unheard on the AM band with a local station tuned in, and while in
> front of the offending grow op. I am sure that in some cases it is
> hearable on an AM channel, but so far here, (and I have expressly,
> checked at each location), I have had very little luck with this. It
> is one of the first things I check for, so I can involve the CE of the
> AM station being affected...>
>
> Dave you could not be more spectacularly incorrect.  You're mistake is
> generalizing based on your own limited experience.  The broadcast
> industry is extremely concerned about the noise floor.  Around here,
> even 50 KW AMs are affected, and you don't have to be outside their
> primary service contour to tell.   All you need do is google SBE AM
> noise floor.   This is probably the single biggest issue in medium
> wave AM today.
>
> 73
> Rob
> K5UJ