RFI

Re: [RFI] Update: Tesla's Response to Solar Panel RFI

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Update: Tesla's Response to Solar Panel RFI
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 11:42:36 -0800
On 12/17/2019 10:55 AM, Hare, Ed W1RFI wrote:
Let me see if I can put this into perspective.

Thanks for your detailed summary of this. I have also contributed to this matter, consulting with Tefford Reed, the Solar Edge field tech who was working on K2MO's neighbor's installation. By coincidence, Reed lived in the SF Bay area, driving distance to me, and we met twice for lunch to discuss the project.

My contributions were to 1) educate the tech with respect to possible mechanisms; 2) address installation-related factors unique to it that could be affecting this particular installation; 3) wind and measure more than a dozen chokes on several combinations of #31 to be applied to the rooftop loop of optimizers and make specific recommendations; 4) advised that the best and most cost effective solution was redesign of problematic circuitry to minimize the HF noise products. One of those installation-related factors was that the frame for the panels were (are?) bonded to earth electrodes on the opposite side of the building from the mains service, setting up a large loop for noise currents, which would in turn establish a magnetic field that is strong in the near field (like next door).

A few months later, I learned from K2MO that Reed had subsequently left the company, and I have no idea of the extent to which my recommendations reached anyone beyond him.

73, Jim K9YC