RFI

Re: [RFI] Grow Lights

To: 'Rfi List' <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Grow Lights
From: KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 13:56:52 -0800
"On the subject of using a hand-held high-gain yagi at VHF or UHF, is it best to assume horizontal polarization, vertical polarization or does it matter at all? Thanks Mike K7PI"

It depends on the source, reflections, interactions, et cetera. Wave it around in various directions/angles (not randomly, though), until you hear what you want, then focus on what's best for what you need. You may find yourself spinning in circles, and rotating/twisting around a bit. I had one setup that heard noise one way, and 90 degrees off, in this case, horizontal vs. vertical, almost nothing.

I get an initial bearing by twisting left/right, horizontal/vertical (but not straight up unless that's the suspected source), while rotating around 360, and making a mental note of best reception direction.

Also, what you hear may not be on the ground, so sweep up, as well, if necessary. You want to "paint" everything, initially.

Kurt