RFI

Re: [RFI] [CQ-Contest] 40m to 20m interference

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] [CQ-Contest] 40m to 20m interference
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 23:30:42 -0500 (EST)
Hi Bill,

You're experience is fairly common. When a transmitter operates in
proximity to electronic devices, the strong RF field often causes those
devices to behave in a non-linear fashion to:
- generate harmonics of the strong RF signal entering the device, and
- modulating signals normally present within the device onto the
harmonics. Signals mixed onto the harmonics can be AC power or
digital signals.

No amount of filtering of your transmitter or receiver will resolve these
problems. Its highly likely that some electronic devices in your own
home are the culprits, but if you live in a suburban neighborhood your
neighbors' electronic devices are likely to cause problems too.

The first step -- as with any RFI investigation -- is to turn off the AC
power (and battery power) to 100% of all the electronic devices in
your home. All UPSs in your home must also be turned off. If the
RFI goes away or is reduced, its time to isolate the devices. Use the
individual circuit breakers on your home to help you do this. C ommon
culprits are wall wart power supplies -- especially switching power
supplies -- and rotator controllers.

Isolating RFI sources in neighboring homes requires similar techniques
and unusually cooperative neighbors...

Good luck with your hunt!

73
Frank