RFI

[RFI] RFI complaints in Australia

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RFI complaints in Australia
From: Bob <vk7zl@internode.on.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 08:26:16 +1030
I have a serious RFI problem at my QTH which appears to be an inverter/switched
mode supply embedded on the power lines. I have DF it to a particular pole in my
neighbourhood. The interference levels are around -63 dBm on 80 & 40M
continually.
I reported the problem to the Power Line Authority and the ACMA, the government body
that controls Amatuer radio in Australia, but  was dumb founded by the response
from the ACMA as follows:

The Amateur service is a 'non protected service' and therefore has no
protection against any interference at any time.
The Power Line Authority is required to investigate my complaint but no time
frame is given. If the interference eminates from their equipment they are
required to rectify the problem (no time frame given). If it is not their
equipment then no further action is required.
If I can located the source of the interference and prove that the equipment is
non compliant the ACMA 'may' investigate but if the owner denies them access to
their property then they are unable to take further any action.
There are no Radio Inspectors in my State, VK5, and the ACMA would not send
anyone over from VK2, their head office, to investigate anyway.
Amatuer Operators pay a minimal licence fee which is reflected in the service
afforded to them.

The bottom line is 'locate and rectify the problem yourself or or put up with
the problem'.
The Government would prefer that the Amateur Service did not exist as they are
more trouble than they are worth.

73, Bob  VK5AZL