RFI

Re: [RFI] Multi-Stage High Efficiency Air Conditioner Units

To: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Multi-Stage High Efficiency Air Conditioner Units
From: James Jordan <k4qpl2@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2020 12:26:41 -0500
Can't be specific on HVAC units, but the Schaffer line filters, available
in various amperage ratings from Mouser can be inserted in the power
circuits. Mouser 631-FN2070[ampere rating]. I Use them on Pentair variable
speed pool pumps at VP5 and they killed very nasty RFI from those motors. I
would negotiate with an installer of higher quality units (Carrier, Trane)
(Avoid the cheap Goodman, Coleman, etc.) that if the unit creates RFI that
they will install appropriate line filters. We have a top end Carrier
variable speed multi-stage unit and I'm not getting any RFI, but my
hamshack is quite a ways from it in a detached garage bonus room so it's
still possible some is being generated.
Good luck.  The high efficiency definitely saves electricity.
73,
Jim K4QPL