RFI

Re: [RFI] Arc-fault breakers

To: Dennis Monticelli <dennis.monticelli@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Arc-fault breakers
From: Bill Weaver <weaverwf@usermail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 06:37:08 -0500
Yes, I built a house in Lexington, Ky in 2011. At that time Eaton breakers were
vulnerable to RF. The whole neighborhood was new development and every house
around me were full of them. In addition to living under an HOA, I was
restricted to 10 watts as I could shut down the neighborhood with any more
power. Sometime the 10W output could trigger my breaker. The ARRL labs studied
the problem and worked with Eaton (from the ARRL site: ARRL Helps Manufacturer
to Resolve Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter RFI Problems) to convince them of the
problem and to implement a fix. At the time it was reported that Eaton did not
implement the fix across the board but implemented a design modification in a
special run of breakers and was open to free replacement with the special "Ham"
modified breaker. I'm not sure how things have progressed. Hopefully they have
depleted inventory of the faulty devices and now there full product line
implements the modification.

73,
Bill WE5P

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​