RFI

Re: [RFI] Swimming Pool Pump RFI

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Swimming Pool Pump RFI
From: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 17:28:31 +0000
On 6/25/20 11:32 PM, Jim McCook wrote:
> Hi Jim,
>
> The installer told me he will be sure the manufacturer has a solution
> or he will remove it and install a AC motor or whatever it takes to
> stop the noise.? I'm going to leave the entire project up to the owner
> and installer.? They know about FCC Part 15.? It seems that DC motors
> are showing up everywhere.? My neighbor had to remove several DC motor
> ceiling fans.? I offered to visit the fan store with him to pick a
> clean model.? Most all were DC fans and we only found a couple that
> did not generate RFI.? The store took the previous fans back and
> installed the new ones.? My biggest help with neighbors has been a
> copy of the WSJ RFI article From March 12, 2014.? If anyone wants a MS
> Word version I can Email it.? Jim W6YA

I recently installed a Mr Cool mini-split air conditioner in the shack.  It
works great and is very quiet (acoustically).  It doesn't affect any of my
outdoor antennas, but I have to turn it off when using my indoor rotatable 160m
receiving loop.  It puts out a broadband white noise that simply raises the
background hiss 10 - 20 dB uniformly across the frequency range. I haven't
decided whether to try to fix the air condx, or re-locate the loop outdoors
away from the shack, where it has always performed better,when tested with a
portable receiver.  Either option would be a lot of work. Fortunately, I rarely
use the loop the time of year when I'm using the air condx.

I have a ceiling fan in every room in the house, but they are all decades old
and weigh about 70 lbs each, with cast iron case, oil reservoir, and coils and
rotating armature you can see by looking up through the ventilation holes in
bottom cover on the motor.

Don k4kyv