RFI

Re: [RFI] Request for Comment (Rheem RP1748 A/C System)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Request for Comment (Rheem RP1748 A/C System)
From: Steve Dyer W1SRD via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 16:22:49 -0800
Does the shielding help prevent RF getting *into* the cable?
With these new 4 wire HVAC control systems I worry about RF getting in the system too.
73,
Steve
W1SRD
On 11/5/2020 2:18 PM, Karin Johnson wrote:
One toroid was placed at the Air Handler
inside the attic of my home, the other toroid at the Compressor outside
unit.  I know, some folks will probably say use type 31.

Yes, considerable research has shown that #31 is quite superior for 160M and HF.

 The type 43 is
what I had on hand and four turns provides about 20 dB suppression with this
wiring construction, as measured on my network analyzer.
From some quick preliminary testing, it appears all of the RFI is GONE.
No more RFI from the unit while it is running at normal load.

I strongly suspect that the same chokes placed on existing wiring (if it was long enough to wind the needed turns) would also have solved the problem.

73, Jim K9YC