RFI

Re: [RFI] Request for Comment (Rheem RP1748 A/C System)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Request for Comment (Rheem RP1748 A/C System)
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 17:12:29 -0800
On 11/9/2020 4:22 PM, Steve Dyer W1SRD via RFI wrote:
Does the shielding help prevent RF getting *into* the cable?
With these new 4 wire HVAC control systems I worry about RF getting in the system too.

Hi Steve,

In my experience, common mode is the primary issue at HF, and probably at VHF. I say that because a clamp-on ferrite has long been the weapon of choice to satisfy compliance testing, which only happens at VHF and above, and wound ferrite chokes usually solve it at HF. My educated guess is that Pin One problems inside the gear are what couples common mode into and out of the equipment. The simple clamp-ons used by compliance engineers are also common mode chokes, simply optimized to place the resonance at VHF.

73, Jim K9YC