RFI

[RFI] mini split for new ham shack

To: david@winarsky.com, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] mini split for new ham shack
From: Dennis Monticelli <dennis.monticelli@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 10:02:26 -0800
David,

I don't think you will find any single or multi-speed (split capacitor
type) for sale in CA anymore.  The last ones were sold in 2019.  New CA
HVAC efficiency standards that took effect in 2020 have pushed vendors to
electronically commutated motors which are not only more efficient
electrically, more importantly they offer continuously variable speeds
which in turn eek out a small efficiency improvement, especially with
two-stage types.  Of course the seal of your ducting absolutely dominates
the efficiency equation but you know how these rules and regs get
approved.  Lobbying has more to do with it than common sense.

I ended up buying two central HVACs (one for upstairs and one for
downstairs).  None of the salesmen knew what I was talking about when I
explained the RFI challenge.  All wanted to sell me the PWM motors (more
markup).  All three went to their superiors with my concerns and only one
knew what I was talking about. That superior said he would check with the
company to determine if an RFI kit was available, but I never heard back.
I then asked the Daiken vendor if a one-stage model was available with a
conventional fixed multi speed split cap type motor because I had seen it
on the website.  He checked with Daiken and "yes" they had a few still in
stock (2019 models) and were happy to close them out of their CA inventory
before 2020.  I made friends with the installers and while the guts were
laid bare they let me slip ferrite beads over all the inputs and outputs of
the computer board (for insurance against possible CPU related noise).  My
system has been completely quiet and my wire antennas run right over the
house.

My advice to you, David.

You will have to deal with a PWM motor(S) and most vendors don't make the
effort to properly filter them because FCC Part 15 cuts appliance makers a
lot of slack.  Go with the recommendations of hams (especially those in CA)
that have bought similar systems and have had favorable results.  Do make
friends with the installers (I used food and beer) and be prepared with a
good supply of mix 31 ferrites in different form factors.  Go overboard
with the ferrites because getting back inside those contraptions later is
not easy.  Then count on having a little luck.

PS.  Save the unused ferrites for your neighbor when he upgrades his HVAC.
No joke!

Dennis AE6C