RFI

Re: [RFI] Common Mode In-Shack Choke

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Common Mode In-Shack Choke
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 14:15:18 -0700
On 4/7/2021 1:29 PM, Tony wrote:
I'd like to cover all HF bands if possible and wondered if using two chokes in line  i.e., one with mix 31 and the other with mix 43 would do the trick?

No, #43 is NOT suitable for use at HF, due to production tolerances and the relatively high Q of #43 compared to #31. But multiple #31 chokes in series, wound with RG400, or pairs of PTFE #12 or white/black stripped from Romex ARE a good solution. See my choke cookbook. One choke would be wound for the lower bands, another for higher bands. The cookbook includes such recommendations.

http://k9yc.com/2018Cookbook.pdf

However -- if a choke on the shack end of feedlines reduces common mode noise, the shack very likely has problems with bonding and grounding. Study N0AX's ARRL book on the topic, or my slideshow pdf for talks I've done at Visalia, Pacificon, and for several ham clubs.

http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

73, Jim K9YC