RFI

Re: [RFI] Old wives tail, or true?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Old wives tail, or true?
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 19:41:48 -0400
Tweren't me neither -- but I had a similar background; Ham Radio had gotten me going as WV6CCP, some time around age 15 or 16.

When I retired from the Army and  interviewed at Wang Labs in 1983, they grabbed me, diploma or not.  The Secret clearance needed for TEMPEST *and* troubleshooting experience was a  hard to find catch -- and I had a career employed or contracted via engineering firms or other employers and even some contracts after  I retired from GE Aviation (formerly Smiths Aerospace ) .

EMC we encounter in our hobby is almost all Physics 101,  QUITE common in an Avionic MOS in the Army, and I'd given a few "lunch and learns" for engineers later who didn't know how to get rid of the noise.; all of us who were in EMC will know what they don't learn and sometimes can't understand.

My last project-at GE Aviation was to teach the EMC portion of an Engineering A Course to degree'd new-hires.   The head instructor told me not to have them calculate the area of a sphere.... Heck I'd learned about that when I was 8, using flashbulbs on a box camera.

And so it goes.

Time to put  antennas back up in the trees. and get back on CW again.

Cortland