RFI

Re: [RFI] I could see the arcs with binoculars last night! (Resolved?)

To: David Decoons <rocketnj@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] I could see the arcs with binoculars last night! (Resolved?)
From: Charles Plunk <af4o@twc.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 02:24:08 -0500
Dave,

Yes I would try the binoculars. Surely cannot hurt. One difficultly I had was a streetlight in my front yard is LED and another is mercury about 200' in another direction. They would reflect off shiny hardware like insulators and fool me into thinking it was arcs but when I saw the tiny arc between the wire and that square washer I realized that indeed was very likely an arc as that stuff is dull and not that reflective.

Chasing this stuff is certainly time consuming but can be rewarding. This group is the best around. Their tip to match the noise somehow was my big breakthrough. Doing that was not easy but that one day when the noise had a distinctive pattern and I was able to listen at the same time to the retransmitted audio from my station receiver on one HT and to my triangulation audio on another HT made the difference in finding the right pole. Lots of noise out there that will mislead you. Other poles, houses, etc many seem to all have noise if you get close enough but may not be affecting your station receiver significantly.

Then ultrasonic and the flashlight. Still looking at night vision toys, lol.

My utility was great! They were on the front page of the local paper this week for their reliability rating. The new CEO must have it going on.

73

Chuck
AF4O