RFI

Re: [RFI] KC2IEB’s RFI Journey

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] KC2IEB’s RFI Journey
From: "qrv@kd4e.com" <qrv@kd4e.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2021 22:12:50 -0400
This instructable provides some additional theory, and practical application:

https://www.instructables.com/Ultrasound-Listener-Electronics-that-expand-your-a/

Cool stuff!

On 4/16/21 9:09 PM, qrv@kd4e.com wrote: The original design is here: > >
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/PLN/Ultrasonic_Pinpointer.pdf > > Hi all! I ended up splurging on this doohickey - >> https://mfjenterprises.com/products/mfj-5008 . It's an ultra-sonic >> receiver that purports "to pick up the noise generated by the >> corona discharge and arcing connections". For those who may not be >> following my saga, I determined using a portable SDR radio that >> the same noise that obliterates 40m up through 10m comes strongest >> from one of two electric poles near my house. No other poles >> exhibit the noise. Using the MFJ-5008, I immediately heard a very >> strong ringing from one of the two poles, which doesn't show up >> when I point it at other poles, houses, etc. There's a little sight >> hole you can use to pinpoint the noise, which I did - it seems near >> the top of the pole is where the sound is loudest. Very easy to >> use, and seemed to work as advertised. Totally understand why this >> is expensive, it's a very niche item. I'll need to find a lot of >> RFI to make up the price tag, but additional evidence helps! >> >> I called the power company, who initially said they'd have a crew >> out in 4 hours. After days with no visit, and numerous calls to >> PSEG, they have no information to provide. I filed a complaint >> with the NJ Board of Public Utilities asking that they follow up >> with PSEG and compel them to consider my complaint. If anyone has >> a contact with PSEG, I'd really appreciate a connection off list. >> >> If folks are interested, I'll try to make a little video of using >> the device. Also, if you're in the Southern NJ area and need to >> borrow it, I accept beer! :) >> >> Thanks again for the help and moral support! >> >> 73 Chris KC2IEB