RFI

Re: [RFI] periodic peaks in the spectrum

To: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>, David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] periodic peaks in the spectrum
From: Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <ram@rkrishnan.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 13:01:43 +0530
Hello Don, Dave, Jim and others:

Thanks so much for all the wonderful information. I have started reading the articles mentioned in order to build a DF loop. I think I am going to try Don's design along with a pre-amp.

Apparently the next door neighbour (the houses are densely packed here, so next door is "literally" 5-6 ft away) has a 4kVA inverter. Last night when everyone is asleep, I stepped out with a shortwave receiver (sangean radio which I borrowed from another friend) and could zero in on the neighbour's house more or less. I initially suspected his fridge and politely asked him to turn off the fridge for a few minutes while I am looking at the spectrum. The birdies remained (assuming he actually turned it off). He did mention that he has a 4kVA inverter powering everything from refrigerator to other devices. That is the prime suspect now because these birdies are present 24x7.

Going to do an on/off test of the inverter (if the neighbour is willing) this weekend. Here in the India, there is very little one can do about flagging violations. So, perhaps installing an x-phase based canceller is probably going to be the only workable solution for my shack. :-( I feel bad about letting a known source pollute the RF spectrum and I am going to try my best to fix it somehow. May be buy toroids and wrap the outgoing mains from his inverter or see if the chassis is properly grounded on the outside.

73
Ram VU3RDD