RFI

Re: [RFI] DFing intermittent connection

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] DFing intermittent connection
From: donovanf@erols.com
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 17:24:22 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Steve,

Does the RFI affect only one antenna on receive or multiple
antennas?

Suggest you have someone visit your shack and listen on the
harmonic frequency and observe your spectrum display on the
harmonic frequency as you jostle things up on the tower.

Not as effective -- because you can't remotely watch as S-meter
or spectrum display on the harmonic frequency -- you could listen
to your receiver audio through a cell phone or handheld transceiver.

Possible causes:
- worn coax cable loop from constant rotation or wind exposure.
You should be able to observe this on your TDR from inside your
shack if you own a TDR. If you don't own a TDR, purchase one!
Its one of the best tool investments you'll ever make. Reflected
power may also vary if the coax is severely worn.

- arcing inside your thrust bearing

- arcing ring rotator surfaces

73
Frank