RFI

Re: [RFI] Mystery noise

To: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Mystery noise
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 19:08:06 +0000
It was aimed at the lower HF frequencies.  Measured to perform well there
on the HP 8753C.  It worked quite well.  The interference from multiple
SMPSs within the unit registered S-8 to S-9 before choke installation.
After installation, no movement on the IC-7300 meter which is 3 dB / S-Unit
and S-0 at -100 dBm (wish we hadn't lost 27 dB of S-Meter indications to
-127 dBm as with the old Collins "Standard").  I can still detect a bit of
the interference, but usually sky noise overrides that.

Dave - WØLEV

On Fri, Aug 13, 2021 at 7:01 PM Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

> On 8/13/2021 11:04 AM, David Eckhardt wrote:
> > But, I have a rather monstrous common mode choke on the new
> > refrigerator/freezer power cord.
>
> Remember that effective common mode chokes work by exhibiting a low Q
> (broadband) resonance, so should be tuned (wound) to the range where
> suppression is needed.
>
> > At least that was accessible unlike
> > the clothes washer/dryer and dish washer, and a few additional SMPS's in
> > other appliances.
> >
> > And.....if I get serious about a specific radio astronomy associated
> > project, only the computer serving that project is on.  All others are
> > off and the internet is OFF, including the wireless router. Not just
> > OFF, but denied AC power!
>
> A lot of our network infrastructure can be suppressed by choking
> connecting wiring, including, but not limited to, their power, coax from
> CATV internet and CAT5 between modem and router. DSL is a more difficult
> kettle of fish, as the service cable can radiate. Noise from their SMPSs
> can be eliminated by replacing them with suitably rated linear supplies.
> I go a step further by using the linear supplies to float-charge sealed
> lead-acid batteries.  I do the same with outboard video monitors. Mine
> were purchased about five years ago when Samsung and several other
> vendors were using 14VDC, and work fine in the 12-14 range.
>
> I've used nothing but Thinkpads since about 2005. They're pretty good
> for RFI, although I recall one vintage that was nasty on 2M. Running
> with only their built-in screen and a wireless mouse eliminates more
> wiring that could radiate. I always choke PSU wiring and cables to
> external monitors.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*