RFI

Re: [RFI] Working with Utilities

To: JW <jwin95@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Working with Utilities
From: Mike Martin <mike@rfiservices.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 09:14:40 -0400
I've been seeing this topic for a few days now and I'm sorry I've been too busy
to comment. What Ed is saying is absolutely correct. If the source of this
problem is a power line noise, meaning generated on the power line, it will be
in Arkansas. The arcing source radiates from 0 to well over a gig. The closer
to the source you get the hiring frequency it can be detected. The methodology
that it explains is absolutely correct. If you have a noise that's generated on
UHF are you HF yaggy will most certainly detect it if close enough to the
source.
One thing to consider when replacing hardware, when the linemen changes those
old bells it frequency creates a lot of disturbance in the hardware. This means
he's shaking hardware for several spans and frequently will disturb the noise
source even if it isn't on that pole. It's very common for bells to be changed
and stop a noise that's three spans away. I have done this in the past and
actually disturb the noise over a quarter of a mile away. Routinely I could
disturb the noise source. A very very valuable lesson to learn.
As for the use of ultrasound, ultrasound detection is only as good as the
success of the previous steps. Step one is for the interference investigator to
come into your home or business or wherever the antennas connected to the radio
and connect his receiver to the antenna receiving the noise. He should record
the pattern of the noise and then go into the field and find the noise that
matches that pattern. Once he does that and is sure that the structure he's
pointing at is the one containing the source that's affecting the receiving
antenna then he can use ultrasound. Ultrasound most definitely will detect
bells and any other arc on the pole provided it has a good line of sight in the
source is strong enough. Things that keep the source from being strong enough
are things like not having direct line of sight with the spark. If it's behind
something it's greatly attenuated. So in looking at bells for sparking sources
you need to look between the Bell joints to detect The Arc that's up inside of
there and makes a big difference. Med Ed or PPL uses a the radar engineers
model 250 and 251 ultrasonic detector. They have fantastic sensitivity however
two or three feet closer can make a big difference. I have actually stood up on
the bumper of my truck and heard a noise that I couldn't hear from any other
position so this is very important. Bells as all sparking sources on poles do
emit ultrasound and can be detected if all the criteria is met.
Remember this, be patient with these guys this is not a primary job for any of
them they have many duties and tasks they have to address and noise is only one
and typically a very small one. They rarely get much experience so it takes
time for them to locate the source. The more rushed they are to get this done
the harder it is for them to get it done in the more likely to be incorrect and
their assessment. Remember when you tell a utility worker where the noise is if
he is incorrect he stands the chance of causing more noise that wasn't already
there and that only makes the process more complicating.

⁣Be safe,
Mike Martin
RFI Services
51 W Bay Front Rd