RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI LG Refrig Corcom filter and #31 core

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI LG Refrig Corcom filter and #31 core
From: Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 16:09:57 -0700
I concur that in some situations both a normal-mode filter (e.g. Corcom) and a
common-mode choke are required. Mitigating a big Tripp-Lite UPS was like that.
I carefully tested each approach and it was abundantly clear that both were
required.

For best results, the Corcom filter should be bonded directly to the chassis of
the offending equipment. That may mean cutting the cord very short, which we
did on the UPS. Then the CM choke is placed on the cord right nearby. If these
filters were in a nice external box with connectors on it, the long untreated
power cord might still be enough of an antenna to radiate plenty of RFI.

Gary Johnson NA6O
gwj@wb9jps.com