RFI

Re: [RFI] RFI LG Refrig Corcom filter and #31 core

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI LG Refrig Corcom filter and #31 core
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 15:17:25 -0700
On 9/29/2021 2:28 PM, Dan K2YWE wrote:
Thanks. I was thinking it's good to have shunt paths to ground, like the Corcom will have, to add to the effectiveness of the choke.

A very common cause of RFI from most equipment is failure of the Green Wire to make proper contact with the chassis where it leaves the equipment. It's the power line equivalent of the Pin One Problem. That's what puts RF on the Green wire, which then acts as a transmitting antenna for the noise.

Filters like the Corcom only work on noise that's on Phase and Neutral. But the act of bonding the filter's Green Wire to the chassis is important, both because it keeps RF off the Green Wire by that mechanism, and because it makes the filter work better on trash that's on phase and/or neutral.

It's also important to realize that what the EMC regs world call common mode is noise between neutral and Green. What WE call common mode is the algebraic sum of the current coupled onto a cable, and what we call common mode is what excites the cable as an antenna.

73, Jim K9YC