RFI

Re: [RFI] Noise from Generac Solar controllers?

To: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>, Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Noise from Generac Solar controllers?
From: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:14:11 +0000
< So, according to Ed Hare, ARRL, solar power systems might fall under Part 15,
Subpart B, as unintentional radiators as an "appliance". >

This is wrong. According to Ed Hare, solar systems DO fall under Part 15 B as
digital devices classified as unintentional emitters.

< This would require passing both radiated emissions (minimum 30 MHz through at
least 1 GHz as an entire system - including simulated house wiring!!) and
conducted emissions (150 kHz through 30 MHz on the AC side).  Clearly, they do
not.>

From tests done by ARRL staff and some volunteers, the HF noise coming from
solar systems is not conducted strongly onto the AC mains, so the conclusion
they do not meet the rules is not supported by experience.  The conducted noise
seems to be coming from the wiring to the solar panels themselves, for which
there are no specific conducted limits nor radiated limits below 30 MHz.  I
don't like the rules, but that is what they are.

<Even the Part 15, Subpart B, unintentional radiator limits, would get under
the skin of most amateurs operating HF.>

Correct, even for the inevitable radiation of noise from the AC mains.  This,
too, is addressed in the FCC rules about operators of devices being responsible
for not causing harmful interference.

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 7:55 PM Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:

> On 12/16/2021 11:14 AM, Cianciolo, Paul, W1VLF wrote:
> > There are 2 main noise generating components in a solar power system.
> Both are tasked with power conversion which for efficiencies sake is
> done with very fast rise times... and we know what that means. Harmonics.
>
> But it doesn't HAVE TO generate RFI -- that is strongly affected by
> product construction, wiring topologies, and installation.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

*Dave - WØLEV*
*Just Let Darwin Work*