RFI

Re: [RFI] Tower/Antenna Reradiation

To: Alan Higbie <alan.higbie@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Tower/Antenna Reradiation
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 20:00:26 -0500
Hi Alan,

Thanks, and I looked through this document.  The document is very good like
others we have come across regarding best practices to avoid PIM, but like
other documents it does not provide the "silver bullet" in regards to
techniques for locating the source of PIM.  There are also numerous
documents from the Cellular industry that have also been very helpful in
understanding PIM, but again there is not much information regarding best
techniques to use for locating the source of the PIM.  There is some test
equipment designed for use in the Cellular industry for testing of PIM, and
we have actually used some ideas gained from what the Cellular Industry
uses (like using 2 different transmitters at the 20 watt level at two
different frequencies and then observing the 3rd order product on a local
receiver, and using directional antennas to track down the source of the
PIM, but this is very difficult based on the the complexity of Mikes
antenna farm.  One of his towers did show up as a problem using the above
mentioned technique, and Mike is now focusing his attention to that tower.

Thanks, and 73,
Don (wd8dsb)