RFI

Re: [RFI] IR Illuminator for Security Camerasmay

To: Gary K9GS <k9gs@gjschwartz.com>, RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] IR Illuminator for Security Camerasmay
From: "Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2022 11:41:20 +0000
I have thought about doing that, but there are a lot of reasons not to.

The first is cost-vs-benefit, and it is more the latter than the former that is
the showstopper.  Products change all the time, so if we were to spend many
tens of hours testing a few products, at about 2 hours per product, counting
the time to identify one, choose one, obtain it, unpack it, set it up for
testing, test it, document and put it away to be stored for a while, although
that has value, more than likely, two years later, it would no longer be
available. I can't count the number of times that I have gone to Walmart to buy
something I bought a year ago, only to find that the exact model is not being
sold any longer, and something slightly different, or significantly different,
has taken its place.

Zak Lau once researched the Walmart web page alone and found over 50,000
electronic products being offered for sale.  There is no way anyone could test
them all, or even know which ones to select.  Even more units are offered on
Amazon and every one has an interference potential.

Even if we find products that are really good from a noise perspective, there
is no certainty that they are going to stay that way.  ARRL has seen products
that once complied no longer comply and we sometimes find filtering components
in the the product removed and replaced with jumpers.  I can see the overseas
factory now saying, "Oh, we are out of those inductors and can't get
replacements, but it works just fine if we replace them with wires, so ship
them!"  It happens all the time, by the reports we have seen and a few units we
have tested.  Also, the big box stores contract to buy large lots of items and
when they are near stock out, they either re-order what could possibly be a
changed design, or put it out for bid again, maybe with a different company and
I have seen them marketed under the same model number, even more dramatically
different.

Imagine the scenario if a neighbor installs new LED bulbs and you have noise
and you go to any page, ARRL or other, recommending a particular product. Your
neighbor goes out and buys 20 of the lights at Wal-get and the noise is still
present because the design has changed.  Not good.

So, ARRL's advice is still the best advice:  Go buy one of a few different
replacements and see which one(s) are noise-free.   The work the League did was
still valuable, because we did find that the vast majority of products sold in
the big box stores (Walmart, Target, HD and Lowe's, for example) were compliant
and that there was not a major EMC problem on our doorstep.

The issue remains that most of our noise problems come from power lines, solar
and illegal grow lights way over the limits, or from the aggregate of many
devices around us.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab